Friday, September 15, 2006

Day 15: Who should get the computers

So I had a reply to my post that I didn't moderate until today because I was so busy yesterday. The commenter makes a good point, and I can see how it was taken out of context. The recommendations of the author wasn't that the only people who should get priority on the computers be those who will eventually grow up to be computer programmers, but instead that educational policy should instead dictate that students who are at risk get more access to the computers in the schools because they are the ones that would benefit most.

The author goes on to say that those with learning disabilities who might benefit from seeing the material in another way or would need to hear the information in order to process it and those who are low achievers - that the drastic gains in these students' achievement is worth not giving universal access to all of the rest of the normal/high achieving students.

I have another friend who is a teacher for the gifted who might argue that her special needs students would also need access to technology in order to better challenge them. I'm not entirely sure where the line should be drawn, as it's an issue of educational policy.

Understand that the reason I embark on this study is not to prove that technology in education is bad, or that the educators out there are idiots; my intent really is to focus on whether or not having the opportunity to play with the technology is giving people the necessary day-to-day business skills that we take for granted. If it is true, this means that we run the risk of increasing the educational gap between those who can afford this tool (the middle class on upward) and those who can't.

In a global society that is increasingly comprised of haves and have-nots, we begin to see that public policy must shift in order to improve the economic health of any given country.

I'm in the process of doing more literature review, and the information I've read so far is thought-provoking. I'll share more once I get more information to process. The survey seems to have slowed down a bit, with just over 330 results. I am fully satisfied with the number of results so far. Thanks to all who have responded!

The survey will remain open for another week, just in case anyone still wants to take it. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home